create a boot-able disk from an iso file

Brian ad44 at cityscape.co.uk
Wed Jan 12 14:19:06 UTC 2011

On Tue 11 Jan 2011 at 23:42:49 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:

> I think root access isn't necessary at all for doing serious damage. For
> a "normal user" like me, the most valuable data are stored in my home
> directory and malware running with my privileges can delete all those
> files.

You can achieve the same effect with rm. Which is why users who value
their data take every precaution to safeguard it. The system has limited
responsibilty to protect you from yourself.

> That would probably be the greatest damage that could be done to my
> system.

There is no damage to the system, only to the data which are in your
home directory and which you are responsible for.

> Furthermore, as a normal user the malware can start applications e.g.
> to join a botnet and send spam mails. That would also be a major
> damage, this time for the network, not for my machine. And again root
> access isn't necessary.

I can envisage how malware in $HOME could send email but how does it get
the machine to join a botnet? Anyway, as you imply, it's not a good idea
to download and install malware in your own space.