Firefox & tmpfs

Gilles Gravier ggravier at fsfe.org
Tue Jan 11 13:34:05 UTC 2011

Jacob,

On 11/01/2011 13:56, Jacob Mansfield wrote:
> On 11 January 2011 07:28, Gilles Gravier <ggravier at fsfe.org> wrote:
>>> Performance. :)
>> Old versions of Firefox you could easily configure the size of RAM cache
>> as well as file system cache... On modern versions I can only see a
>> setting for "Cache" which is the filesystem one.
>>
>> If you put the cache in a tmpfs, that is, in fact, RAM (which is why it
>> gets deleted at each reboot).
>>
>> If you have plenty of RAM (and Sandy has 8 gigs, plenty for doing only
>> open office and firefox on a single user desktop) then allocating a gig
>> or so to tmpfs and putting firefox cache in there is a great way to
>> increase firefox caching performance by orders of magnitude.
>>
>> Gilles.
> would this clear the browsing history, saved tabs, etc when the system
> is rebooted?

It only clears what's in tmpfs. If it's just the cache... no.  If it's
the rest... yes. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's easy to configure
Firefox to store browsing history, tabs and others in a specific
directory. The cache, yes, that's a directory.

But you can set the settings in Firefox to erase these things at the end
of a session...

Gilles.