VirtualBox Upgrade problem,

MirJafar Ali mirjafarali at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 22:17:39 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi <lmnicolosi at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 11:03 PM, MirJafar Ali <mirjafarali at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have one old version of VirtualBox installed on my Ubuntu machine and
> now
> > I would like to install the new
> > version provided by the Oracle, but I get the following message:
> >

> > There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that
> allows
> > you to install/remove software and to perform other package management
> > related tasks.
>
> Perhaps a broken package on Synaptic? Are you able to install or
> remove any other software? Can you sudo "apt-get update" and "apt-get
> dist-upgrade? Which Ubuntu release are you running? Is your host 32 or
> 64? And your guests? Have you checked your BIOS regarding the VB
> message on your other post in this list? How are you trying to
> upgrade? Have you uninstalled the previous version? Have you followed
> the Oracle instructions at:
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads regarding VirtualBox
> install?
>
> (This (aptitude) list does not have Super Cow Powers)
>
> L.
>
> --
> L M Nicolosi, Eng.
> Ubuntu AMD64
> GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/

I did exactly as you had suggested, but still I could not get the problem
resolved.

1.  I have 64 bit machine running Intel Quad-Core processor.
2.  Guest is Window 7.
3.  I do not know BIOS setting at all.
4.  I was trying to click on *.deb package, and hoping that it will install
automatically.
5.  No I didn't uninstall the previous version. I was worried if that could
destroy my previous packages.
6. Yes, I followed the instructions provided by the Oracle ( example apt-get
clean etc.)

Thanks.