Odd chrs in filenames <OT>

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 07:13:37 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 17:46 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 09/01/2011 17:24, Ric Moore wrote:

> >> Has to do with the char set you are using on your computer. You are
> >> probably using UTF-8 but the chars you see as "diamond" will be
> >> displayed correctly if you switch over to Western (ISO 8859-1). (Or try
> >> the reverse to what I just stated.)
> > If you can sorta figure out the filename and wish to copy/move it to
> > something more ascii, you could just use midnight commander (mc) for a
> > text file handler. When I run into Windows file names full of spaces and
> > prancing pink unicorns with spangles, I use mc to brute force them into
> > submission. It's a manly tool, for us manly Linux-OS men and for the
> > Linux Chics ladies, too! :) Ric
>
> I prefer to use the compassionate, gentle persuasion, and a soft-voiced
> approach to solving such a problem rather than the "brute force" (you
> brute, you!) approach you are advocating O:-) .
>
> Anyway, watcha doing still messing around with Windows garbage?! Shut
> the damn Windows and stop the bugs from getting in! (Eh, I like what I
> just wrote! I think I'll use it as a sig line - unless you want to use
> of course.)
>
> (Still having a hard time convincing people to switch from Windows, eh?

They make me crazy. Absolutely bonkers. I cannot wean several important
people in my life from Windows. Plus, they use some sort of crazy
Windows/Yahoo mailer that sticks their posts into a single-cell text box
that you cannot middle or bottom post to, or copy from. I'm insane from
it. Gill Bates hates me personally, I know it. <gibbers> Ric
Linux user# 44256