A question about burning USB stick

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sat Jan 8 11:14:20 UTC 2011

On Saturday 08 January 2011 11:18:07 am Colin Law wrote:
> That is interesting, I have just tried
> dd if=myfile.bin of=/dev/sdb
> and get
> dd: opening `/dev/sdb': Permission denied
>
> Colin

I can confirm both making an image (dd if=/dev/sde of=/<partition>/test.img)
and writing back (dd if=/<partition>/test.img of=/dev/sde) work _if_ I am
root or use sudo. I get your error message when I try as a normal user.

The only caveat I'm aware of (also from previous expriences... ) is that some
sticks have a way to set them "read only", and I had set this without knowing
when manipulating the stick.

Thierry