Dual-core Atom Processors

Greg Bair gregbair.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 17:58:36 UTC 2011

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 13:05:06 +0000
Alan Pope <popey at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On 7 January 2011 12:55, Greg Bair <gregbair.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone have any experiences with these processors?  More
> > specifically the D510?  A friend and I are having a friendly bet on
> > who can put together the best low-power Linux desktop sub-$300 (to
> > be given to a local charity).
> >

> I've yet to see a dual core atom that Ubuntu didn't like.
>
> > I found online a forum thread saying 9.10 and 10.04 kernels didn't
> > support it.
>
> URL?

Although, I will say that it is an old thread, and I didn't read till
the end until now.  Someone posted a youtube video showing it working.

> > The small power consumption is very attractive.  And if I can use
> > it, I found an Intel mobo + CPU combo on newegg for $80.
> >

> I would personally go for a ready built machine like this:-
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-MAG-Intel-NVIDIA-HD-ND01-U/dp/B0030UH2J4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1294405473&sr=8-4
> http://www.ebuyer.com/product/236579
>
> ..or cheaper options like the R3600, R3610. These are all dual core
> Atom based with ION/ION2 based video cards. They make for pretty nice
> little desktops. My mum uses one.

That does look nice, but that defeats the purpose of the bet. :)  And
the Intel mobo has ION graphics, so no prob there.

> Cheers,
> Al.

Thanks to everyone who responded.  Looks like I'll be able to use this
cpu.  On another note, while looking through these things, I might just
pick an atom-based pc up for me.  Probably use it to replace my 9-year
old IBM tower I'm using as a web development server.

--
Greg Bair
PHP Developer