Gnome missing on second display in dual card setup

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Jan 7 09:45:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 07, 2011 at 09:20:00AM +0000, Fredrik Jonson wrote:
> I have upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10 and after the upgrade gnome panel
> does not seem to load on one of my screens. I have a dual card X
> configuration with two radeon cards and I'm using the open source
> radeon driver for X.
>
> When gdm starts the login dialog actually shows up on the left display
> but then once I've logged in gnome panel only starts on the right
> display. All I see on the left is the desktop background and my mouse
> pointer when I move it over to the left display.
>
> Anyone have a clue what's happened here and how to fix it?

You have a perfectly normal extended desktop.  You can drag windows (and
panels) from the right monitor to the left whenever you like.

If you'd prefer to have a single desktop cloned to both monitors, you
can do that too: System -> Preferences -> Monitors then select "Same
image in all monitors".

Marius Gedminas
--
"If we were meant to fly, we wouldn't keep losing our luggage."