Fax as printer in cups

rikona rikona at sonic.net
Wed Jan 5 07:00:18 UTC 2011

Hello MR,

Tuesday, January 4, 2011, 5:03:33 PM, MR wrote:

MZ> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM, rikona <rikona at sonic.net> wrote:
MZ> :
>>
>> JF> One thing i do after i've set up an app is to 'take screenshot' of
>> JF> all settings just to be on the safe side for the future. I can
>> JF> post these if that would help with the efax-gtk route.
>>
>> I would appreciate a copy. I, too, need to use fax - in fact, I needed
>> to send one earlier today. My hardware fax is getting impossibly
>> flaky, and I'm considering a fax app for Lucid to replace it.
>>
MZ> I would strongly urge you to consider a real fax machine, or a
MZ> fax-all-in-one printer. They're both fairly mature technologies
MZ> that usually adhere to fax-telephone industry standards, including
MZ> support for receiving.

In theory, I'd agree, but I've been through several, and not impressed
with any one so far.

MZ> This might just be from the poor taste my fax-modem left in my
MZ> craw, but there's no substitute for the real thing. My two HP
MZ> a-i-o-fax printers were both under $50, and I'm pretty sure the
MZ> first one broke because of something stupid I did (the scanner
MZ> feeder quit working on me

Funny you should mention that. I thought if I bought a "better" one it
might last longer. I'm on my second fairly expensive HP all in one, a
7140xi. Both have had very poor feeders. The 7140 currently won't feed
20 lb paper at all. I have to copy what I'm going to fax onto 24 lb
paper, and maybe, just maybe, it will feed successfully. If it has any
small wrinkles from the copier, forget it. Perhaps if I ironed it
first it might work better...

The comp app is not sounding that bad. :-)

MZ> and it's just as cheap or cheaper to get a new one as to fix the
MZ> old...).

True. That really tix me off... I have to get a new $xxx one because
often some 10 cent part has failed - and the old one has to go to
special recycling. Yech! What a waste.

Back a bit I thought I'd try repairing a Sony VCR myself. The smallest
part I could buy was a 'module', of which there were about 3 in the
entire machine. And, each one was a major fraction of the price of a
new VCR. Yech, again...

--

 rikona