Fax as printer in cups

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 16:03:57 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Mike McMullin <mmcmullin at cogeco.ca> wrote:

>  Is it possible to configure a fax modem as a printer in CUPS, shunt jobs to
> it and have it launch the appropriate fax user interface?
>
>  Failing that, where's the docs on setting up a fax/server in 10.04 desktop?

On this netbook running  Ubuntu 10.10, I went to the System --> Help
and Support menu and searched for "fax." The first item indicated the
package is called efax-gtk, which should do what you want, as long as
you have a supported fax modem. It may take some work to get the setup
working as you expect, though.

A few weeks ago I needed to receive a fax, so I created a new phone
line with my VOIP provider and connected an older Macintosh laptop. I
was surprised it did exactly what I needed, including forwarding the
received documents via email. The old Mac is new enough to be using
CUPS behind the scenes, and of course its own internal modem was
completely supported.

YMMV :-)