Completely OT but I gotta rant

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 00:50:53 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 23:42 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > Crowdsourcing?? Since when has the Open Source imperative been
> > renamed as "Crowdsourcing"
>
> It hasn't. From <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowdsourcing>:
>
> | The difference between crowdsourcing and ordinary outsourcing is that
> | a task or problem is outsourced to an undefined public rather than a
> | specific other body. The difference between crowdsourcing and open
> | source is that open source production is a cooperative activity
> | initiated and voluntarily undertaken by members of the public. In
> | crowdsourcing the activity is initiated by a client and the work may
> | be undertaken on an individual, as well as a group, basis.

Thank you for clearing that up. I redact my rant then ...sorta. So,
crowdsourcing is not what the "sound byte" says it is: "The Soundbyte
Version: The application of Open Source principles to fields outside of
software." I never considered Open Source, as a principle, to be
restricted to software alone. I kinda resist that notion. Crowdsourcing
then seems to be just a fancy word for an open-bidding on a job. Open
Source would be "Who wants to help?" Am I off here? :) Ric

Linux user# 44256