installation hangs

Pierre Meurisse pierre.meurisse at laposte.net
Sun Jan 2 10:59:58 UTC 2011

Hi !

As I post here for the first time, just a few words in order to introduce
myself.
I'm a retired french teacher of maths. My usual distrib is debian, but I
subscribed to this list to help some friends/family who work with ubuntu.

Happy New Year to all of you.

On Sun, Jan 02, 2011 at 10:28:50AM +0000, Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to install both ubuntu-10.10-netbook and edubuntu-10.10 and in
> both the installation hangs in the step "Configuring hardware" (not 100%
> sure these are the exact words).
>
> I've installed Debians and Ubuntus many times and never encountered such
> issues.
>
> This particular computer is a small netbook based on the Intel Atom, a
> Classmate pc (the model is a Magalhaes, version 2, from Portugal).
>
> I really have no idea why this happens.
>
> Could I pass some installer kernel arguments in order to avoid this ?

10.10 uses a vmlinuz-2.6.35 kernel. It doesn't work with my X71SL Asus
computer ; I kept a vmlinuz-2.6.32 for that machine.

Could you try to install a 10.04 distrib ?

Hope this helps.

--
Pierre