turn usb printer into wireless?

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Sun Jan 2 02:46:15 UTC 2011

On 01/01/2011 06:13 PM, wcj9996 wrote:
> Doug:
>
> See below.
>

> On 01/01/2011 12:22 AM, Doug wrote:
>> On 01/01/2011 12:08 AM, wcj9996 wrote:
>>>
>>> Doug:
>>>
>>> If you can use a wired print server check the following from Amazon:
>>>
>>> Trendnet 3 Port Print Server
>>>
>>> I have been using one foe several months with good results.  It has
>>> two USB 2.0 and one parallel port, all separately addressable.  I
>>> paid less than $50 for it.
>>>
>>>   walt
>> This sounds like a very nice simple solution, and I intend to buy
>> it.  (The price is just a few dollars higher, today.)  I thank you for
>> your quick reply. I downloaded the installation manual, and now I
>> have to ask a few questions that are not obvious to me, but of course
>> to anyone who has set up a network:
>>
>> 1.  The network will consist of 3 computers: one Win 7, one mostly
>> PCLINUXOS (PCLOS) dual booting very seldom to Win XP, and one
>> laptop with XP, PCLOS, Debian, Ubuntu, and MINT, mostly running
>> PCLOS. The first two will be wired to Ethernet, the third will be
>> alternately wired or wireless, via wireless router.  There will be
>> two printers (one color, one B/W laserjet) both of which have USB
>> inputs available.  Since this will now be a true network (I guess) I
>> assume that one machine will have to be a server, altho I really
>> would just as soon they all be equal. If one has to be a server, it
>> will be the W7 machine, for various good reasons.
>
> No separate server is necessary.  I have two desktops running UB 10.04
> and a laptop running UB 10.10.  I have printed with all of them.  I
> haven't needed to run Windows.
>>
>> 2.  How do I set the computer names, the network name, and the
>> network and computer ip addresses? What is a MAC address,
>> and how do I find it or set it?  Is there somewhere I can read up on
>> this, in _plain English_ not gobbledygook?  (I have several books on
>> W7 that may help. Perhaps I can borrow an XP guide at the library.)
>> What is the best and easiest source of information on Samba?
>>

> I set up the printer using CUPS in each machine.  The MAC address is a
> unique serial number on each network card that identifies the printer,
> computer, modem etc.  The print server needs to have an IP address for
> each printer that will be used to address the printer.  I have used
> the "Unleashed" series of books by Sams Publishing.  "Ubuntu 2010
> Edition"  is the latest one that I have.
>
>> 3.  Are there things that I should know unique to Linux with regard
>> to this device?  If so, what?  Are they likely to be the
>> same for all 4 distros? Is there any Linux support on the CD that
>> comes with it?
>>
> I have used CUPS to set up network printers on several versions of
> Ubuntu and Fedora with no problems.  All were behind a NAT router.
>
>> 4. Did you have to call the tech support people, and if so, did they
>> know about Linux?

> [...]
I would like to say thank you very much to the folks who have replied here--
Walt, Angus, Mr. ZenWiz, anyone else I have left out.

I'll get the gadget next Friday (predicted) and will go on from there
with it.
In the meantime, I'm trying to set up a Linksys wired/wireless network.
Up to now, I just plugged all the machines into the router.  I had a
minimal network, which I didn't actually set up at all.   Wish me luck.

doug