Controlling Internet access

Bill Stanley bstanle at wowway.com
Sun Feb 27 17:38:56 UTC 2011

Recently on this discussion list, there was a tread about disallowing
Internet access to certain programs.  The approach is essentially to
maintain a list of blacklisted programs.  I think that this is looking
at it all wrong.  Is there a way to maintain a list of programs that you
trust on the Internet?  You see there are new programs written daily.
How do you know if you can trust them?  My answer would be that you
don't until they can be considered safe or at the very least, so
essential that they must have Internet access.

Yes, this seems to be paranoid but the goal is to keep malware off your
computer.  A program does not necessarily have to harm your computer, it
might just send personal data which might be detrimental to you.

Bill Stanley