tomcat startup script not working at boot

Tapas Mishra mightydreams at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 16:52:04 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube at gmx.net> wrote:

> What do you mean with "when I a user logs in to run level 5"? Again, you
> didn't mention how you switch to runlevel 5.
No not manually I am referring to bootstrapping.When you switch the
power button on and from there the
Ubuntu boot sequence takes over after after the kernel initialized and
passes on the control to init 5.So
that the user gets gnome screen.I am not doing any thing manually just
referring to daemons.
> Unless you do that manually
> or by one of your init scripts, that never happens automatically on a
> Debian or Debian derived system like Ubuntu.
>
>> able to get the environment variables in
>> /etc/bash.bashrc (if you leave my question for some time of my tomcat
>> script which is working)
>> I want to know in general how it happens that the variables defined
>> in $HOME/.basrch
>> or /etc/bash.bashrc gets initialized
>> 1) at which run level and
>> 2) what script (if some one can point) invokes them.
>
> 1) It has nothing to do with runlevels (see above).
> 2) It is included by /etc/profile but only for interactive shells.
>
> Anyway, talking about bashrc is only misleading when you want to run
> daemons which are invoked by init scripts because there is no
> interactive shell involved.
Yes this makes things clear.
>And as I understand this thread, that is
> what you want to do. If you really want to include /etc/bash.bashrc in
> your init script you can do it with a line
>
> . /etc/bash.bashrc
> somewhere in your script before you need the variables set by
> /etc/bash.bashrc. However I'd rather copy the needed lines from that
> file to your init script.
Ok.So you mean to say these variables in /etc/bash.bashrc come only to
picture when
daemons have started all (your boot sequence finished) and you got a
console to login and not when the daemons are starting  at boot time.