tomcat startup script not working at boot

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Feb 26 06:07:06 UTC 2011

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> How do you decide when system is booting then whether
> /etc/rc5.d/S20tapas-tomcat will execute first or
> /etc/bash.bashrc will come first in boot sequence so that JAVA_HOME
> or any other variable comes first.

I think you are on the wrong thrack. If you execute your
/etc/bash.bashrc script, the environment variables set by that script
will not be used by other startup scripts because those other scripts
are new independent jobs. If you want specific environment variables set
in a specific script, you should set them in that very script.

Then you refer to /etc/rc5.d/S20tapas-tomcat. Are you sure it will ever
be used? The default runlevel for Ubuntu is 2, not 5. It would only work
if you have a special setup which uses runlevel 5.

I think you want to read "/usr/share/doc/sysv-rc/README.runlevels.gz".

Nils