How to install USB Dongle in Ubuntu 6.06

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Fri Feb 25 00:58:04 UTC 2011

On 02/24/2011 06:00 PM, Thibault Dupuis wrote:

>> Can you check what version of kernel you are running? This driver
>> requires 2.6.13, Dapper shipped with a 2.4 kernel I believe. I'm not
>> sure if it was even updated to 2.6.
>>
>> You can check the version by running 'uname -r' (minus single quotes) on
>> the command line, it may also say when you boot the system.
>>

> No, Ubuntu 6.06 shipped with a 2.6.15 kernel. This driver must work with this Kernel.

Ah you're right, I was looking at the kernel-image package (stuck at
2.4.27), not linux-image which is 2.6.15.

To the OP, you should only need to do the first step in the README,
which is to extract module_DB31.tar.gz, enter the resulting 'module'
directory and run 'sudo ./load'

This will load the modules into the kernel and bring up the interface.
After that you should be able to configure it as with any normal
networking device. Neither of the driver versions distributed in that
package (IE: the debian or the "linux" build) appear to actually install
the drivers, they just load them, therefore you're stuck re-loading them
after a reboot. That is unless someone wiser can describe how to load
them into the kernel modules tree and update modules.conf and
modules.dep, which I cannot.

The rest of the instructions are to build and configure wpa_supplicant,
which should already be in Ubuntu.