Trying to install Natty Alpha 2

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 16:46:44 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Alain Muls <alain.muls at telenet.be> wrote:

> I am very interested in trying out the Unity interface of the next
> Ubuntu release.
> I downloaded the Alpha 2 live CD (and redownloaded it), checked the
> MD5 sum, but I get a kernel panic at boot.
>
> How can I get a working version of Natty?

You can install Maverick, boot into text mode, update it fully, change
the occurences of maverick in sources.list to natty (in vi: ":%
s/maverick/natty/g"), and update your system (do an upgrade before a
dist-upgrade).

(You should probably report the bad CD on launchpad, although, if it's
a daily cd, it might just be today's bad iso and tomorrow's will be
fixed).