LibreOffice Installation Question

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 22 17:18:39 UTC 2011

On 02/22/2011 07:19 AM, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> I was looking over the installation instructions for LibreOffice on
> www.ubuntugeek.com.  The instructions say that you need to remove
> Openoffice, along with the command to do that.

Which instrctions?

> But, then it follows
> with the statement that removing Openoffice is optional.  I find this
> to be somewhat confusing.  Is it necessary or not?

No. Just download the .deb (be sure to also download the help .deb:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/
and install per:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/instructions/
  http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/linux/
  [Installation of LibreOffice on Debian/Ubuntu-based Linux systems]

That will install LO to your /opt directory and will not interfere with
your existing (U)OOo install.

> I have Ubuntu 9.10 on this machine and would like to hang on to the
> default Openoffice.  If I install LibreOffice, will I run into
> problems with shared files?

No. Not if you install per above. (note: you can't install via the PPA
as that PPA only has files for lucid & above. See:
https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa). I have LO, OOo-dev,
OOo-standard, and (U)OOo (Ubuntu OOo) on this system and have no issues:
$ locate versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/program/versionrc
/opt/libreoffice/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/basis3.4/program/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org/basis3.3/program/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org/ure/bin/versionrc
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/basis3.2/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/versionrc
/usr/lib/ure/bin/versionrc

The only thing that I have to do is modify the bootstraprc in
OOo-standard so that it doesn't interfere with the profile folder from
(U)OOo. LO uses /home/<user>/.libreoffice/3 so it doesn't interfere with
OOo or (U)OOo.

> I recall the recent debate on this issue.

There are issues with OOo and LO installed together on Windows systems.
This is because LO hasn't changed their executable file names.

>  But, their didn't seem to be a positive final answer on it.  The
> ubuntugeek article references the test version, and I would be
> installing the 3.3 final.

Actually I've found the pre-released 3.3.1RC2 to be quite stable:
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/pre-releases/

Added note: you might want to subscribe to the LO users list:
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/