Wireless router needed

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Feb 19 06:27:20 UTC 2011

<eero.volotinen at iki.fi> wrote:
> > 2011/2/18 Carlos Alberto Alves <drcaa at predialnet.com.br>:
> >> Hi!
> >> I would like your input about a wireless router for a 50
> >> feet-apart connection with 2 walls (w/ 2 windows) between netbook
> >> and router. TIA,
> >
> > Linksys WRT54GL with linux firmware (openwrt or ddwrt)
>
> I would suggest the same, but with Tomato instead of openwrt or ddwrt

I would suggest to use the original firmware that comes with the router
because with the open firmware versions you loose the "secure easy
setup" functionality. This feature was quite nice to connect a Windows
Vista laptop to the router when the retarded Windows version wouldn't
allow to paste the 63 character WPA2 key.

Furthermore, I would suggest to buy a router for the new 802.11n
standard, not the old 802.11b/g - there is no big price difference. The
802.11n routers are compatible with the old 802.11b/g standard, so there
shouldn't be a problem if the netbook only supports the b/g standard.
Yes, I know it may not work with the higher link speed over 50 feet
through two walls, but who knows what other machines will connect to
that router in the future and over which distances? Maybe then the
faster router will be appreciated. And another advantage of the modern
routers is the increased RAM size which might be interesting if you
really want to replace the firmware with any of the open firmware
versions.

Now, if you ask me for a specific type of 802.11n router, I can only
name the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND which is the one I have. But there are
others which should work as well.

Nils