copying from vi to clipboard does not over writes clip board buffer

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Fri Feb 18 15:37:56 UTC 2011

On 11-02-16 10:48 AM, J wrote:

> No problem... I discovered that ages and ages ago and I hardly ever
> use the clipboard for anything because of it.  I've never seen that
> documented anywhere, in nearly 2 decades of using Linux in various
> ways, so I don't even know if that is intentional behaviour or just a
> happy accident of design.

I am ... flabbergasted that you have never seen this documented.  Surely
that is a critical failure of Linux documentation for beginners.  This
has been the standard Unix way of Copy/Paste ever since a mouse was
first used on Unix computers, long before the desktop environments
hacked in a "Clipboard" ala Windows/Mac. (Sorry, no citation, and no
doubt a more anal ^H^H^H^H detail oriented person will correct me on the
timeline.)