Installation Issue

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 22:03:23 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Mark Apel <mapel at cals.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Is it possible to do create a USB bootable media within the “Try Ubuntu”
> environment on my computer?  If so, I’m guessing I’ll have to download
> Ubuntu again?  Or is there a way to copy the iso right off of the start-up
> CD onto a USB storage device?

Please do not post in HTML or at the top of your replies.
Bottom-posted plain text is preferred on this list.

The "Try Ubuntu environment on my computer" option will install Ubuntu
in a special directory under your current OS.  This simulates the
"real" Ubuntu environment without you having to change your OS to
test-drive it.  Most anything you can do in Ubuntu should be available
for you to do within that environment.

Creating a bootable Ubuntu on a USB drive is a slightly different
issue.  in this case, you are essentially putting the CD image onto a
USB drive.  Although I have not done so myself, that issue has been
discussed more than once on this list, so you can look through the
archives to find the details or just run a quick web search for
instructions (and give more attention to the results that refer to
Ubuntu or come from the Ubuntu forums).