10.04 troubleshoot system freeze

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 18:02:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 10:00 -0700, scar wrote:

> Alan Pope @ 02/16/2011 09:28 AM:
> > On 16 February 2011 16:24, scar <scar at drigon.com> wrote:
> >> please let me know what steps i can take.  thanks so much
> >>
> > Run memtest from a live CD over night. Bad RAM accounts for quite a
> > few odd failures like this.
> >
> thanks, i was thinking of trying that.  i guess what is throwing me off
> is that everything is brand-new.  the RAM is Crucial ECC memory.  i'll
> let the list know how it goes.

When I first bought my system it would run well for  few days then go
ape and freeze up. Then it started happening more often. I suspected the
power supply was flaky and took it back to the guy that built it. He
found the power supply WAS flaky, replaced it and I've run it non-stop
for several years now. That is a thought to consider. Ric

Linux user# 44256