OT: alternative to Gmail?

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Wed Feb 16 16:27:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 9:54 AM, Allan Javier Aguilar Castillo
<gnu at hush.com> wrote:
>   Hello, <hunguponcontent at gmail.com>!
>
>   Like you, I'm unhappy with certain policies of Gmail (and Google
> in general). Looking for alternatives, I found Hushmail,[1] which
> is very safe, since it allows the sending and receiving of
> encrypted messages. However, the capacity of its free version is
> very limited: only 2 MiB. But it is an option you can consider.

So does gmail (and hotmail, yahoo...)

Unless you're talking about encrypting messages on hushmail's servers
with hushmail's applet when they have already turned over keys and
decrypted messages to the US government and have stated that they may
be compelled to deliver a compromised applet to a user. Allowing
encryption doesn't make it any more safe, and if the majority of your
contacts aren't also on hushmail or using PGP, it's unlikely you're
encrypting much anyway.

Hushmail is good for passing security. For real security (from
them)even they recommend using GnuPG and the like on your desktop,
which will work with any email provider just fine.

Realistically gmail allowing 2-factor authentication would make it
more "safe" than hushmail from a typical attacker.