[11.04]-Turn Off Unity & Use Classic Gnome?

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 16:19:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Jesse Palser <SLNTHERO at aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm starting to think that I should skip 11.04
>> and use 10.10 until 11.10 is released.
>>
>> I have no interest in using Unity.
>
> Just curious. What makes you think that 11.10 won't have Unity?
>
> If a Gubuntu declination isn't published (not officially, like
> Lubuntu), you'll be able to use the regular ("Classic") GNOME or
> install and use gnome-shell.

Gubuntu is something else, or rather, several distros of that name
have been announced over the years, including a Free-software-only one
akin to GnuSense.

"Ubuntu Gnome 3 Remix" is the officially-sanctioned style, I believe.

But between  Unity instead of GNOME 3 and Wayland instead of X.org,
yes, I can see a "more mainstream" Ubuntu remix coming about in a year
or two, certainly, one with plain ol' x.org and plain GNOME3.

But on the other hand, I heartily approve of Ubuntu's efforts to
follow the "KISS principle". I kinda wish they'd get a bit more
radical, as Apple have with OS X - they have pensioned off large
chunks of the config files in /etc and so on and move things into
network-distributable databases, for instance. That's not what I'd do,
but it's an interesting approach.

One idea, for instance, is that the old distinction between the
various /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin and so on folders are now
historical. Rescuing a system now means booting from optical disk or
USB stick, not bringing it up in single-user mode and then root going
poking around. I mean, they've already banished the root user
altogether. Time to banish its special directories, too.

Merging them all might make life a lot simpler.

The ultimate distro in this direction is GoboLinux, which completely
banishes the Unix directory hierarchy and replaces it with simple
directory trees, one program per directory, and a load of symlinks to
make things look like the traditional structure so your code still
compiles.

It's arguably a bit /too/ radical, but certainly, Ubuntu could so
something very similar.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com