LibreOffice - pros & cons with Meerkat

John Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sat Feb 12 05:23:25 UTC 2011

On 01/25/2011 11:49 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 5:28 AM, David Nelson<commerce at traduction.biz>  wrote:
>> Hi, :-)

>> It is not *necessary* to remove OpenOffice.org before installing
>> LibreOffice. They can currently happily exist side by side.

>>> But if you have a look you will find that both articles were written many
>>> days ago (one is 5 January and the other 12 January) - when LO was a
>>> (?)Beta.
>>>
>>> The URL I provided points you to the LO site which gives you all the
>>> up-to-date information on how to install LO on your system (be it Ubuntu et
>>> al, or Windows, or MAC). All the information is there :-) : one is not
>>> spoon-fed but one does need to spend a bit of time reading the instructions
>> As one of the guys working on the http://libreoffice.org website, I
>> just wanted to say that we'll be updating the Linux installation
>> instructions.
>>
>> The writing of those instructions was complicated by the attempt to
>> cover multiple Linux distribs (I was the guy that wrote them). I'll be
>> looking at a way to improve that content as soon as I get time.
>>

> Libreoffice .deb release from the main site installs at /opt, side by
> side with OO, but in my Maverick 64
> failed to create shortcuts on Aplications/Office.
>
> Libreoffice from the PPA, 1:3.3.0~rc4-1 (the only active repo I found
> for Mav.) indeed demands removal of regular OpenOffice (in fact
> Go-Oo). Nevertheless, once installed it seems to work well.
>
> --
> L M Nicolosi, Eng.
> GNU-Linux Regist. User #481505 - http://counter.li.org/
> Ubuntu 10.10 AMD64

Thanks all for bringing up the issue of installing OO or LO under
linux.  I am surprised that there is a complication of which distro is
being installed to, as a series of if/thens in a well documented
script,  with each branching to a separate distro/version would make the
programming and understanding of the users many times better than what
we have now.  The gurus of each version could insert their own code.  My
questions are in relation to where is the code being installed?  Is the
directory where I place the downloaded file; an installing/working
directory which will be emptied and deleted upon completion of the
installation?  Where is the program kept? Should we be using /opt?  I
don't like crowding my /home/user directory.  If (when) I upgrade to the
next version, is my OO or LO written over.  These are questions that I
hope will be answered by an OO Lo install script.

Wow! Glad to get that off my chest.  I'be been sitting on these
questions since Suse 5.3.

John