Latest Adobe Flash plugin just installed - SOLVED

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 12 05:18:32 UTC 2011

On 11/02/2011 17:41, NoOp wrote:
> On 02/10/2011 09:02 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Is it?
>> Yes it is.
>>
>> I could have added, "until the question has been resolved" but I
>> consider people here intelligent enough to deduce this for themselves.
>>
>>> $ apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin
>>> adobe-flashplugin:
>>>     Installed: 10.2.152.27-0maverick1
>>>     Candidate: 10.2.152.27-0maverick1
>>>     Version table:
>>>    *** 10.2.152.27-0maverick1 0
>>>           500http://archive.canonical.com/  maverick/partner i386 Packages
>>>           100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>> This is not as useful as suggested because while the above is showing on
>> my system......
>>

>>> about:plugins
>>> Shockwave Flash
>>>
>>>       File name: /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
>>>       Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152
>>
>> ....this is NOT what shows up in my about:plugins. What shows up is
>> filename: libgnashplugin.so and the version is 10.1.r999. What is
>> installed is not reflected in what Firefox actually "sees" and tries to
>> use (the *.so in /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so ).
> at one point in time you installed
> mozilla-plugin-gnash/browser-plugin-gnash. I've found in the past that
> gnash conflicts with with adobe flash... haven't tracked down exactly
> why, but it does.

I wish I knew how I could have done so as my installation of Maverick,
and Lucid before it, is a stock standard installation from Canonical -
however, Maverick was an upgrade using the Update Manager from Lucid
which was a clean installation.

But I shall now go looking for the app. which uses the gnash plugin and
try and remember how it could have got onto my system.

BC

--
Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.