Latest Adobe Flash plugin just installed - SOLVED

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 11 05:02:22 UTC 2011

On 10/02/2011 12:56, NoOp wrote:
> On 02/08/2011 10:23 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> A few minutes ago the Update Manager (for Maverick) installed the latest
>> Adobe Flash plugin v 10.2.152.27.........and now I cannot see any videos
>> (on YouTube, BBC, et al).
>>
>> The moral of this story is: do NOT install the new plugin.
> Is it?

Yes it is.

I could have added, "until the question has been resolved" but I
consider people here intelligent enough to deduce this for themselves.

> $ apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin
> adobe-flashplugin:
>    Installed: 10.2.152.27-0maverick1
>    Candidate: 10.2.152.27-0maverick1
>    Version table:
>   *** 10.2.152.27-0maverick1 0
>          500http://archive.canonical.com/  maverick/partner i386 Packages
>          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

This is not as useful as suggested because while the above is showing on
my system......

> about:plugins
> Shockwave Flash
>
>      File name: /usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so
>      Shockwave Flash 10.2 r152

....this is NOT what shows up in my about:plugins. What shows up is
filename: libgnashplugin.so and the version is 10.1.r999. What is
installed is not reflected in what Firefox actually "sees" and tries to
use (the *.so in /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so ).

> Works well for me:

[pruned]

And as you saw, while it may be working for you it certainly hasn't been
working for others - and certainly not for me.

However, as the Subject heading is now showing, I have solved the
problem but I do not know why the problem should have arisen - someone
else can go and figure that one out.

I'll start the solution by mentioning following:

(1) on the Adobe site itself there appears to be different versions of
the same plugin and this depends on whether you download the *.deb
version (12,110,428 bytes) or the *.tar.gz version (12,127,284 bytes);

(2) the *.so from Ubuntu is 12,110,348 bytes big;

(3) if you go to a web site (eg BBC Online) you will be 'told' that you
do not have the correct flashplayer installed and if you then download
the flashplayer using the given link and install it (using nautilus) the
flashplayer.so which is installed is for HARDY (10.2.152.27-0hardy1) and
not for Maverick;

(4) following the installation of the latest flashplayer plugin
(10.2.152.27 for Maverick) using the Update Manager, while the
libflashplayer.so is correctly installed in /usr/lib/adobe-flashplayer/
the symlink(s) to it are rubbish in /etc/alternatives/ : the symlink(s)
is/are changed to point to /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so and not to
the correct location;

(5) there are 6 symlinks to the plugin in /etc/alternatives:

firefox-flashplugin
mozilla-ditto
iceape-ditto
iceweasel-ditto
xulrunner-ditto
xulrunner-addons-ditto

and all these get changed to /usr/lib/gnash/libgnashplugin.so when
adobe-flashplayer is removed in the Synaptic Package Manager and then
re-installed ---- and this is reproducible (I think 5 times should be
enough to prove this); also as soon as the plugin is removed
about:plugins in Firefox shows that the version of the *.so being used
is v10.1.r999 (but apt-cache policy shows that no plugin is installed);

(6) the solution for me was to re-install adobe-flashplayer in Synaptic,
and then in /etc/alternatives/ edit the symlink for
"mozilla-flashplugin" to show
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplayer/libflashplayer.so after which about:plugins
in FF correctly shows that the latest plugin is being used - and I can
now view videos on all sites.

BC

--
Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.