Latest Adobe Flash plugin just installed

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Fri Feb 11 04:21:24 UTC 2011

On 10/02/2011 13:31, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 13:13 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> I've been using Adobe Flash 64 Beta and "Square" for a long time now
>>> with no issues (10,3,162,29)
>>>
>>> Just remove any trace of a previous Flash install, download "Square" from
>>>
>>> http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/000/6b3af6c9.html
>>>
>>> Extract libflashplayer.so to home/$/.mozilla/plugins/
>>>
>>> Restart Firefox and it's done.
>> Sounds like you are using Firefox directly from Mozilla and installing
>> it in your home directory - which is what I used to do until 12 months
>> ago. The installation of firefox which comes with Ubuntu, and
>> 'maintained' by Canonical, does not use the /home/.mozilla/plugins/ -
>> the symlink there is "dead"; the plugin for FF is in
>> /usr/lib/firefox/plugins.
> I was about to add the same thing. For once I decided to install the
> latest firefox from mozilla. What a mistake. All of my plugins died. I
> decided I would not venture out of the synaptic approved packages
> again. :) Ric

This should not be a problem. All you need to do is to change the
symlink(s) to point to the correct destination. For example, for
flashplayer it should point to
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libflashplayer.so .

I was installing the "bleeding edge" versions of both FF and Thunderbird
daily for many years - until I got sick of doing so and now simply rely
on what Ubuntu supplies.

BC

--
Foreign aid might be defined as a transfer of money from poor people in rich countries to rich people in poor countries.