flaky residential router

Thufir Hawat hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 23:43:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 10:03:18 -0500, David Curtis wrote:

> Is the default route wired or wireless? (eth0 or eth1). Are you using
> network manager?

wired.  No, not using network manager.  Both NIC's, eth0 and eth1, do the
same thing.

> Try just bringing up the wireless by itself.

Pardon, my initial message might have implied something incorrectly.

The only wireless device I have is an internet radio, which connects to
the router wirelessly.

For wired devices, there's just a "skype phone" and the computer.  Now,
the computer has *two* NIC's:  a built-in and auxilary.

I've switched the ethernet cable between one NIC and the other on the
computer, then used ifconfig, and then even switched back to the first
NIC, without progress.  I left that out by accident, pardon.  That both
NIC's would have the same problem is why I suspect the router (which I
bought used.)

When I powercycle the router, and then use ifconfig, I can see the lights
illuminate, but they don't flicker -- just a single blink.  The router
can be pinged fine under these circumstances, just not google/etc.  The
oddity here is that the skype phone, connected with ethernet, and the
wireless radio, work fine.

(From time to time, the skype phone does something similar, in that it
will freeze or crash, but not nearly as often as the computer.)

It's more an oddity.  I can't see how or why I should be able to ping the
router, but not the internet and *yet* the "internet" is working for
other devices.  Finally, why would rebooting the computer fix the
connectivity in a way bringing the interfaces down and then up doesn't?

Hope that helped to explain it, and I didn't just muddy the waters!

-Thufir