Autorun is VERY bad

ms devicerandom at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 15:23:29 UTC 2011

On 09/02/11 02:57, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 05:33:57PM +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>> hi,
>> Am Dienstag, den 08.02.2011, 15:46 +0000 schrieb devicerandom:
>>
>>      On 08/02/11 14:27, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>>      >  hi,
>>      >  Am Dienstag, den 08.02.2011, 14:04 +0000 schrieb devicerandom:
>>      >>  You haven't RTFM on RTFM yourself, did you? :)
>>      >>  http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#rtfm
>>      >  what makes you assume that ? i usually read a thread before answering,
>>      >  have often enough come across that document and i dont find an ESR
>>      >  document particulary helpful as an excercise of the ubuntu code of
>>      >  conduct ... nor do i find it any kind of appropriate for this ML
>>
>>      It is a document that sums up what is a *general* code of conduct which
>>      is shared by tons of technical open source mailing lists/IRC
>>      channels/web forums and the like.
>>
>> while that might be true for other MLs, http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct
>> is the one that counts on ubuntu lists, *not* some random ESR document.
>>

>>      You are free to reject it, but by doing so you ignore essential
>>      fundaments of the hacker culture (which, by the way, allowed Ubuntu to
>>      be what it is) and you're out of place in the vast majority of such
>>      forums. Good luck with that.
>>
>> i'm not talking about "such forums" i'm only talking about this mailing list.
>>

>>      Well, I'd say that teaching people how to fish is much, much better than
>>      giving them fish, so I'd say that *I am* the one helping out and giving
>>      proper support, not you.
>>
>> how does your attitude help anyone how to fish ? *how* did you give any help
>> *at all* ?
>> the *single one person* that helped in this thread was "Chhatoi Pritam Baral"
>> pointing to the proper configuration tool (kudos for that), all other posts are
>> either discussing your habit or general security issues.
>>

>>      >  several people (one of the ML admins being among them) have told you it
>>      >  is not appropriate, how about just accepting it ?
>>
>>      How about understand why it could be appropriate and why it is felt
>>      appropriate by the vast majority of the open source/hacker culture? You
>>      are still free to disagree, but it's you that is walking backwards, not us.
>>
>> again, i'm not talking about the vast majority of MLs or forums, i'm talking
>> about *this list*, there is a reason why ubuntu differs from other lists and is
>> praised for its userfriendly way of supporting people, did you think about that?
>>
>> one thing that might help you is to try to imagine the person behind that mail
>> you help is your mother (or grandmother) who sits in front of you in real life
>> on the other side of the table, then think about if you would shout RTFM in her
>> face ...
>
> This is one of the most arrogant, infuriating posts I've read in a long
> time.

Absolutely. It sounds like some kind of tribal cult: "this is how we
are, we don't care of any rational argument to change our ways, take it
or leave it".

Nice, indeed.

And the guy also choose a funny example, since I effectively shouted
more than once to search the fucking web in the face of my mom and dad
when they ask infuriatingly obvious technical questions. :)

--
Massimo Sandal, Ph.D.
http://devicerandom.org