strange problem with gparted.

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Wed Feb 9 15:32:16 UTC 2011

On 11-02-08 05:17 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:

>> Can you post the output of fdisk -lu /dev/sda?
>>

> Rashkae,
> I had to work so now I am back at my system.
> Here is the output:
> joep at Laguna-new:~/Utube/utubeqt$ sudo fdisk -lu /dev/sda
> [sudo] password for joep:
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
> Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0xb419b419
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *          63   102398309    51199123+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda2       102398310  1953520064   925560877+   5  Extended
> /dev/sda5       102398373   517678559   207640093+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda6       517678560   534064859     8193150   82  Linux swap /
> Solaris
> /dev/sda7       534064923   743793434   104864256   83  Linux
>
> I will look at the links you gave and Gary (Noop) gave me also some
> links. I keep you all informed.
> Joep

If there is something fundamentally wrong with your partition layout, it
is far beyond my my understanding to see it.  I do find the gaps between
partitions a little odd.  My guess was that some partitions were
created/resized by a program that aligned them to track or cylinder, and
some partitions were not.  At first I thought that Lucid had aligned
some new partitions to Mib, but only one of your partitions starts at a
sector that is evenly divisble by 8 (which indicates it would be
properly aligned for newer 4k sector drives.)

In either case, either there is something wrong here that I don't see,
some of your partition meta data is wrong/corrupted in such a way that
does not seem to negatively affect the kernel and fdisk, you have found
some obscure bug in libparted, or some unholy combination of the above.
My suggestion(s) therefore:

Find the libparted support forum/mailing list and bring this to their
attention.  I would think, if you do get this noticed by one of the
developers there, they would know more about partitioning than anyone on
Ubuntu Users list.

Whether what causes the issue is identified or not, so as to avoid
potential future snags, I would re-partition this drive.  And by
repartition, I mean, backup each partition, zero the drive (dd
if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda) and start from scratch.  But hold off on this
step if you are not comfortable with resolving UUID issues that come
from drive transfer (either by recording and restoring your original
UUID's, or changing the system files where UUID's are needed)