Ubuntu 10.10 Performance issues with transmission or ktorrent indicator applet

Jon Grant jg at jguk.org
Sat Feb 5 22:02:54 UTC 2011

On 4 February 2011 00:08, Noah Duffy <n.milo.duffy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 22:37 +0000, Jon Grant wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> NoOp wrote, On 03/02/11 01:26:
>> > On 02/02/2011 01:53 PM, Jon Grant wrote:
>> [.]

>> > Any particular reason why you are using the pae kernel?
>> > Just curious.
>>
>> This laptop has 4GB of RAM. There is a 3GB addressing limit with the
>> standard 32bit kernel sans-pae:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Linux
>>
>> Best regards, Jon
>>

> Is the processor not a 64-bit processor?  And not to reply to another
> email already sent, the other computer you don't have issues with, what
> are it's specs?  Is it the same install?

Laptop with problem is Acer 3820T, Intel core i3. x86 install using
pae kernel as 4GB RAM.

Other laptop without problem is running Ubuntu 9.4, same wifi/lan.
Transmission running fine.

On problem laptop Acer 3820T Transmission hangs with high CPU usage.
Likewise KTorrent does the same.. very bizarre, I have no idea what is
causing it.

I removed applet-indicator package, still same issue hanging, and
requiring a reboot.

Thanks for the help so far guys, Jon