NOD32 on Linux

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Thu Feb 3 05:55:33 UTC 2011

On 02/02/2011 10:14 AM, AV3 wrote:
> On Feb/2/2011 6:3904 AM, Mike McMullin wrote:
>> On January 23, 2011 12:24:13 pm Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>>> /snip/
>>
>>    One of the new AV apps for Linux is harking on how it is now our
>> responsibility to protect Windows users, but running an AV app, if we
>> forward
>> files or e-mails to them.  Gee if their app was that it could catch
>> it on
>> Windows why would I need it on Linux?
>>

> You don't "need" it, and you needn't bother with it. Only Windows AV
> programs keep as up-to-date as possible with new malware, so an
> AV-for-Linux would almost certainly lag behind. Linux users have
> neither the ability to "protect" Windows users nor the responsibility.
>

> Mac went over to a Unix-based program ten years ago and has since
> enjoyed the luxury of Unix protections. It is either baffling or
> stupid for Microsoft to have ignored the obvious advantages of doing
> the equivalent. I don't think any Unix-based OS users owe Windows
> users any consideration; on the contrary, I think Microsoft ought to
> pay compensation to others for the inconvenience of living in a world
> of Windows-targeted malware, even if those others are largely immune
> to it.

Altho it may be a little more difficult to write viri and worms for
Unix-based systems, it has certainly been done--every so often you hear
about some
really _bad_ worm that is infecting big computers all over the
world--almost surely, Unix machines.  If I had to hazard a guess, it
wouldn't take very
long , if M/S switched to a Unix based system, before all the crud that
now infects M/S would be infecting the new M/S system, and, of course, _us_!

--doug

Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A. M. Greeley