Open JDK 7 doesn't have 64 bit package or a mozilla plugin?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Dec 26 03:30:30 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 20:55 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 12/25/2011 06:30 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure why anyone would actually want to run the closed binary
> > from oracle when they can run the open source version from their own
> > distribution. I sort of thought that is the point of open source anyway.
>
> Craig, crack open synaptic and do the usual java search for the Oracle
> Java JDK ... ain't there no mo. OpenJDK 6 has been a POS for my needs.
----
of course you won't find oracle's java (either jre or jdk) in any Linux
distribution since it is binary only.

The whole point of openjdk was to deploy a completely open source
version of java.

Now I would suspect that your rendered judgment of openjdk being a POS
probably stems from some ancient version that probably didn't have the
muscle for running some java based web app but for at least a year now,
it should be enough to satisfy the needs of about 90% of the Linux
users.

I haven't checked Ubuntu's versions but I know that Fedora's eclipse
development and tomcat use openjdk and are quite functional.

If there is something that you can't do with openjdk and/or
icedtea6-plugin at this point, I would be surprised.

Then if you toss in the distinct advantage of having timely updates
automatically installed whenever you update, code that is openly audited
and monitored for security issues I think you can figure out that their
are distinct advantages to openjdk.

Craig

believed to be clean.