Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 00:45:53 UTC 2011

On 26 December 2011 00:25, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-12-24 at 18:46 -0800, NoOp wrote:

>> > +1, but have decided to give Ubuntu a first try, I guess the reasons
>> > to adopt it are more.
>>
>> Were you planning to try that as:
>> Parshwa Murdia <ubuntu.bkn at gmail.com>
>>  PM <ubuntu.bkn at gmail.com>
>>   Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn at gmail.com>
>>  Linux Tyro <opensuse.bkn1 at gmail.com
>> PM <reallife at hmamail.com>
>> LinuxIsOne <linuxisone at gmail.com>
>> LinuxIsOne <reallife at hmamail.com>
>> PM <mathsrealworld at gmail.com>
>> Rameshwar Kr. Sharma <mathsrealworld at gmail.com>
>>  or
>> Praful Patel <personalcloud at fastmail.fm>
>> ?
> ----
> as mentioned in PM... I don't believe that list, while impressive is
> actually exhaustive but I think indicative of what at least CentOS
> (where he was run fairly quickly), Fedora, OpenSuSE and Ubuntu lists
> have had to endure.
>
> This one...
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-December/255888.html
>
> has troll written backwards, forwards, upside down and sideways.
>
> Oh and this message to Ubuntu list...
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2011-December/255889.html
>
> is followed up with his 'pastebin' on Fedora list (not the Ubuntu
> link)..
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-December/411046.html
>
> (note to NoOp - Swapnil Bhartiya swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com  another ID
> for your list and I'm quite sure there is more).
>
> and especially amusing is his using another ID to reply to himself
> suggesting to use OpenSuSE...
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-December/411022.html
>
> Regardless of his ID - he is a waste of time and energy

I was impressed by the list of email IDs and matching names given
earlier, but then, I have no evidence that these are actually real
emails.

Do remember, however, that we are on the English-language Ubuntu
mailing list and India is the biggest English-speaking nation on the
planet, as well as the biggest parliamentary democracy. There are over
a billion people in India and as they speak hundreds of
mutually-unintelligible, often *totally different* first languages,
including Hindi, Gujerati, Bengali, Panjabi and many more - plus Urdu,
mainly in Pakistan. 30 languages are spoken by more than a million
people; 122 are spoken by more than 10,000 people.

English is the /lingua franca/ for many of these people.

India is a rising tech giant, too, and Linux and Free software are a
great way to learn.

I am seeing more and more Indian people appearing on technical mailing
lists and other online fora.

India also has something of its own dialect of English, sometimes
called "Hinglish".

Now, if, perhaps, some of the people claiming that this chap is a
troll are American, perhaps they've never met many or any Indian
people. I'm British and I know many, some good personal friends.

The patterns of Indian people writing in English might be unfamiliar
to many here. Thus it might look like several people writing in Indian
English are all one person, from his characteristic style. (I say
"his" not "her" based on a guess - I know that "Ramesh" is a male
name, as I know a Ramesh Patel, a former boss. I do not know for sure
if Rameshwar is a masculine name.)

But as Ubuntu rises in popularity, it is very likely that the
English-language Ubuntu communities will see more and more Indian
members, many writing in this characteristic style.

*This doesn't mean they are all the same person.*

As for the presence on other lists - well, why not? There is no law
against that. I've done the same myself before now - join multiple
fora and ask the same or similar questions. It's a good way to get a
spread of opinions.

I am not saying that I know that LinuxIsOne and Rameshwar are
different people; I don't know.

*But neither do you.*

So please drop the /ad hominem/ attacks. If you don't want to talk to
them, don't. But please stop with the haranguing. It's not helping
anyone.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com