Open JDK 7 doesn't have 64 bit package or a mozilla plugin?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sun Dec 25 23:30:16 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 08:37 +0000, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 02:20:35PM -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Just freshly installed Xubuntu 11.10 which I'm quite pleased with.
> > Instead of jumping through the oracle hoops, to install Oracle 7
> > JDK, I'm trying to make do with the OpenJDK 7. But, it's i386 and
> > lacks a mozilla plugin. I've googled, and just don't find it, shy of
> > compiling Open Jdk. At that point, I'd be just as well off
> > installing Oracle's version. Is anyone familiar with this case??
> >
> > I did get Open Wonderland to compile and run the server, though. I
> > was pleasantly surprised at that. But, when I try running the java
> > client in Firefox, it starts opening a bunch of tabs, like a drunken
> > sailor. The OpenJDK mozilla plugin links to OpenJDK 6, which also is
> > installed, which seems like a waste just to get a mozilla plugin.
>
> I had this problem a few days ago. Someone kindly pointed me to this link for a headache-free way to install Oracle JDK7:
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/how-to-install-oracle-java-7-jdk-in.html
>
> It's now working beautifully. Hope it helps you.
----
if it floats your boat, then fine.

I'm not sure why anyone would actually want to run the closed binary
from oracle when they can run the open source version from their own
distribution. I sort of thought that is the point of open source anyway.

Opening up java was one of the really great things that Sun did prior to
their being swallowed by Oracle.

Craig

believed to be clean.