accessing DHCP connected hosts by name vs IP

Jay Ridgley jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 24 18:23:14 UTC 2011

Folks,

I know that if a host is connected via a static connection and is in the
/etc/hosts file by name and IP, it may be accessed by name when using ssh and sftp.

How can I or is it possible, to do the same for a host connected via DHCP?

For example: My laptop (hostname kodiak) has the following entry in /etc/hosts:

192.168.139.7 kodiak

When connected with a cat 5 cable it can be accessed simply by ssh kodiak,
however, when connected via DHCP I must use ssh 192.168.139.38 (the assigned IP
address on my local network).

I would rather only use the hostname. Once connected with ssh it does show as
kodiak, so it is identified as expected. I just can not ssh kodiak with a
wireless connection.

Is it possible to connect wirelessly with a static IP address? If so I would
love to know how it is done.

Thanks,
Jay
--