Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sat Dec 24 17:24:04 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 03:11:02PM +0000, Liam Proven wrote:

      .......snip of way too much quoting......

> Ones I would suggest you /avoid/ as a beginner:
>
> * Debian
> * Slackware
> * Gentoo
> * Arch

Liam, I think I agree with the poster who said that you seem to be
living in the past. I have no experience with Slackware, Gentoo, or
Arch, but have used Debian *and* Ubuntu on and off for several years.
What was the last time you checked out Debian? At one time you were
correct in saying that Debian was tough for beginners but, that hasn't
been true for quite a while. Realizing that this is OT, I'd like to you
expand (off list if you'd rather) on what you feel it is that makes
Debian that much harder.

For the record, I'm not necessarily a Debian fanboy, being relatively
distro agnostic.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,