Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

Jamie Paul Griffin jamie at kontrol.kode5.net
Sat Dec 24 08:50:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 05:53:13PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> comparing distributions, like Gnome vs KDE, like emacs or vi are not
> questions that have definite answers except for the personal judgment
> that one can only make for themselves.
>
> Doing it on multiple lists makes it clear that the OP isn't actually
> interested in the answer, because he has already been told that there is
> no single answer.
>
> Asking the Ubuntu list just two scant days after he disdained Ubuntu on
> the Fedora list made it abundantly obvious that he is just a troll and
> I'm sorry if that seems harsh and unfriendly. If you feel that it is
> worth your time and energy then so be it but don't say that you weren't
> warned.

I do agree with your point entirely. I just feel that being unnecessarily unkind creates a sense of hostility for this list which it shouldn't. This list and many others provide a fabulous service to new users and it's better to point out to people that disregard the etiquette of the list that it's not acceptable rather than publicly flame them. Unfortunately its inevitable that a certain amount of stupidity will show itself but then it's best to educate them.

You will have read that I made it quite to the OP earlier in the thread that he should go and read up on a topic before posting. If he chooses not to try and learn for himself then that's his problem. I have no intention of wasting my time in that case, so I do agree with you there.