Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 08:13:06 UTC 2011

On 12/23/2011 10:22 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-12-23 at 20:47 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
>> On 12/23/2011 05:15 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>>> So, yes, the gap has narrowed, but still, even today, the Debian
>>> family don't have the admin tools that SUSE boasts, and the RPM-based
>>> distros don't have the elegant, mature package-management system that
>>> the Debian family do.
>>
>> Caldera had the good sense to just use rpm as Red Hat did, since they
>> were a red-haired step child, so to speak. Ole Donnie caught hell, on
>> the Caldera list, when Caldera had about their 3rd or 4th release and
>> about a week or so later Red Hat came out with a new and improved
>> version of RPM that nailed ours. It's not always roses when a distro
>> competes with another. Ric
> ----
> that's bs - Red Hat always makes their code available upstream and thus
> any Linux can use code from any of their packages including the package
> manager itself... the source was always available to everyone.

Of course it is. We just happened to notice that the completely
re-worked and updated version of rpm appeared just a week or so after we
all had just updated our Caldera installs, and our old version of rpm
was not compatible at all with the new version, which was a completely
reworked version. I'm sure that was a coincidence... <cackles>

> There are always issues with the timing of releases especially
> considering that updated packages should get some amount of testing
> before making it into a 'stable' product.

Well sure, if Caldera KNEW that rpm was being completely re-worked then
they would have held off their release. They were never hide-bound to a
release date. They were small enough to do the "right thing". Liam was
probably there at that time. We got blindsided. "All's fair...."
<chuckles> Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html