Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

Basil Chupin blchupin at iinet.net.au
Sat Dec 24 00:56:02 UTC 2011

On 24/12/11 06:16, Ric Moore wrote:
> On 12/23/2011 01:49 PM, sdavmor wrote:
>> On 12/23/2011 08:07 AM, Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> [snip all the well-written well-thought out response]
>>
>>> In summary:
>>>
>>> Ubuntu: relatively small, modern, simple, streamlined. Very easy
>>> andpolished.
>>>
>>> SUSE: big, very capable, quite complex, many many options. Good
>>> admin tools but software management inferior, as is that of all
>>> the RPM-based distros.
>>
>> That's an excellent summary you've provided, Liam.
>
> Liam, somehow you're coming off dissing rpm, which I'm sure wasn't
> your intent. Ric

Not to mention that, as someone who contributes to a technical journal,
he is living in the past.

openSUSE is not owned by Novell anymore. Novell was bought by
Attachmate, and SuSE is now also a separate unit operating in/from
Germany (SuSE's land of birth)[1].

Furthermore, the software package management system in YaST is very
efficient and resolves dependencies perfectly -- totally contrary to
what "he who doesn't know his facts" claims.

[1] What may be throwing some people off the scent is that there are
some URLs associated with openSUSE which still have Novell in their URL
name but this is only because there hasn't been time to alter
documentation, URL names, etc.

BC

--
There are actually three kinds of mind: one kind grasps things unaided, the second sees what another has grasped, the third grasps nothing and sees nothing.
              Niccolo Machiavelli