Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

Johnny candj01 at att.net
Fri Dec 23 16:24:23 UTC 2011

If you use anything but Ubuntu. Most of the other live CD I have to
disable ipv6 thing to get on the Internet with Firefox. I have 3 PCs and
have do do it on all. I did write this but if you try something other
that Ubuntu 11.10 you might want it handy. You can do a config:about and
disable there but that only helps Firefox. I like unity. But I use
unity2 better than Gnome. Just me.
Merry Christmas and God Bless Johnny3 65+++

On 12/15/2011 05:56 PM, Greg Pelly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have HBase installed on a a Ubuntu 11.04 box. It's having problems and
> they are due to the fact that ipv6 is enabled, the advice is to disable
> ipv6. The method of disabling appears to be adding the following three
> lines to sysctl.conf:
>
> ***net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1*
> *net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1*
> *net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

Easier way to do this is to pass the kernel a parameter to disable ipv6
on bootup. To do that, edit /etc/default/grub and add
"ipv6.disable_ipv6=1" on the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line so it looks
similar to the following:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash ipv6.disable_ipv6=1"

Save the file and then run "sudo update-grub" to update grub.cfg and
generate new initramfs images. Reboot and ipv6 should be disabled on all
interfaces.