Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

Jamie Paul Griffin jamie at kontrol.kode5.net
Fri Dec 23 11:56:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 05:05:16PM +0530, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 3:52 PM, Jamie Paul Griffin
> <jamie at kontrol.kode5.net> wrote:

> Okay I don't know, may be Yast is the package manager, but **how**
> package manager of Ubuntu is better, can you please explain me a
> little?

Yes, YAST is the package manager for OpenSuse. This would be a good opportunity for you to take some time to read about the two package managers and how they work, rather than just excepting the opinions of myself and other list members. You should read about both distributions as much as you can. It is tempting to just install, try and then do the same for another but really if you're going to start learning Linux and UNIX seriously then you must read as much as possible. The benefits
from doing so are massive.

> Okk, then I must go with Ubuntu.

Personally I think you should. You won't be disappointed. I have tried many and have settled on Ubuntu for my mail and webserver.

> Okay, my hard ware is nether too old nor is extremely new, its in between.

Try to find out as much as you can about the capabilities of your hardware. Again, read as much as possible. If you decide to try a more raw version of UNIX in the future that requires more understanding to set up, Xorg for example can be tricky if you need to do any manual configuration then having researched your hardware will provide a great advantage.

> Okk, I didn't know this fact, I try then.

Good. Virtual OS installations provide a great way to test a system and explore it without causing problems.

    jamie.