Newbie query: Ubuntu vs openSUSE

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 07:47:39 UTC 2011

On 12/23/2011 02:04 AM, Rameshwar Kr. Sharma wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 11:37 AM, doug<dmcgarrett at optonline.net>  wrote:
>
>> Why not get a live CD for each of the systems, and run them.
>> You may find that one system is much more to your liking
>> than the other.  However, be aware that there are a number
>> of desktop environments available.  There might be more
>> for OpenSuse, I just don't know. There are some for
>> variations on Ubuntu, such a Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and even
>> Mint, which is a descendent, but not under Ubuntu control.
>
> Well, it is to request to please point to point differentiate between
> the two distros, if you can, just a request. Thanks.

Heh, that's kinda like discussing religion and politics. It's usually
avoided. OpenSuse is rpm package based, and Ubuntu is deb package based.
Both offer pretty much the same software.

Doug gave you great advice. If you're not handy with cd burning or have
limited bandwidth, go to some place like on-disk.com and pay about $5 US
for each distro's live CD and try them out to see what YOU like. For old
and crusty machines Lubuntu is a good choice. I use Xubuntu as I like
the XFCE desktop. Or maybe you'll like Unity with the standard Ubuntu
install. It's hard for someone else to tell you what you'll like or why
you should install which version of which distribution. But, by golly,
you do have choices! Enjoy! Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html