convert a lost+fouind partition to ext4

Abhishek Dixit abhidixit87 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 02:23:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Avi Greenbury <lists at avi.co> wrote:
> Abhishek Dixit wrote:
>> the last one I want to convert to ext4 or some thing which  I can
>> use.In nautilus window it shows me lost+found a cross icon is marked.
>
> That lost+found directory is present on all ext filesystems - the fact
> it's there suggests you've already got an ext3 or ext4 filesystem in
> that partition.
>
> I'm not all that familiar with why nautilus would display a cross on
> it, but my guess is that you do not have permission to write to it
> since you don't own it. It's relatively easy to fix.
>
> What do you intend to do with it? Do you want to mount it as a
> subdirectory of your home directory, or are you happy for it to appear
> in /media along with removable media?

I want to use it, it is 270+ GB which is lying unused on my system.
Is it possible that I extend the home directory or / to this size 270+ GB.
Mine is not an LVM it was a normal ext3/ext4 filesystem, how can I use
the unused space that is my problem.
I was installing vmware virtual machine and  I suddenly found on my 30
GB / partition the space had finished.
When I checked I found 270+GB size unused so I want to some how use it
in my / file system.