Needed fully functional [NOT 'Live'(sic)] Linux on USB stick - was [Re: Ubuntu on pendrive]

Richard Owlett rowlett at pcnetinc.com
Thu Dec 22 15:52:04 UTC 2011

Colin Law wrote:
> On 22 December 2011 14:17, Richard Owlett<rowlett at pcnetinc.com>  wrote:
>> Avi Greenbury wrote:

>>> Probably unetbootin[0]. When you say you want to "put ubuntu on a
>>> pendrive", what do you then want to do with that pendrive? There's two
>>> common similar-but-different use-cases:
>>>
>>> 1) A 'live USB' system. On this system, you can boot off the USB stick
>>> into a working Ubuntu install. When you shut down, you lose any chanegs
>>> you've made and the next time you boot off it you get a new system.
>>>
>>> 2) A system installed onto the USB stick, such that on boot you get an
>>> option between your existing OS (Windows) and the Ubuntu on the USB
>>> stick.
>>>
>>> Unetbootin does option 1, 2 is a bit more tricky, but quite doable if
>>> that's what you're after.
>>>

>> I don't know about OP, BUT I'd definitely like a pointer to
>>                     _CLEAR *AND* CORRECT_
>> instructions for a modified option 2 -- pendrive must be bootable when BIOS
>> selects as boot device. My goal is having identical environment whether
>> using my laptop or desktop machine.
>
> Have a look at the instructions at
> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download, select the appropriate
> options and click Show me now.
>
> Come back if something is not clear.
>
> Colin

Those seem to be instructions for (expletive deleted) "Live
Install".

I want a Linux installed on a USB stick that is
indistinguishable from what would be on your hard drive if
one had chosen "Install Now" on "Live CD" and chosen "wipe
out my life's work currently on hard drive and any existing OS".

I haven't decided whether to laugh, cry, or stop banging my
head on desk ;)
I've been fighting this for > year. I followed on set of
instructions several months ago and ended up with a dual
boot muck-up with grub on my hard drive and and a
non-bootable install on USB stick.

I think the installation menu on the "Live" device should be:

Install
   to internal drive
      dual boot install
      delete current OS and install as only OS
   to external drive
      specify external drive