behaviour after cloning a disk

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Wed Dec 21 22:26:53 UTC 2011

Hi,
I have a question about the behaviour of a cloned disk.
I want to copy a20GB disk to a partition on a much larger disk (1TB) of
20GB. The disk is bootable with 2 primary partitions (1=ntfs, 1=ext3)
and an extendedn partition with 5 logical partitions (with different
formats).
If I copy that disk with "dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sdd8 bs=1024" will all
be preserved i.e. are all partitions the same as in the old disk and is
the disk bootable ( and can grub find the bootable partitions
automagically?).
You can see I don't have much experience with this so I hope somebody
with more experience can help me out.
Thanks,
Joep