root partition full

James Tappin sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Tue Dec 20 22:42:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:32:33 -0600
CJ Tres <ctres at grics.net> wrote:

CT>   df -Th | sort says:
CT> /dev/sda1     ext3     28G   26G  1.1G  96% /
CT> /dev/sda7     ext4     51G   13G   36G  27% /home
CT> Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
CT> none      devtmpfs    4.0G  704K  4.0G   1% /dev
CT> none         tmpfs    4.0G     0  4.0G   0% /var/lock
CT> none         tmpfs    4.0G  432K  4.0G   1% /var/run
CT> none         tmpfs    4.0G  788K  4.0G   1% /dev/shm
CT>
CT> Is there something else I'm missing that I may be able to do to get
CT> the  percentage down or is my / partition just too small?

That looks an awfully large amount on / (my kubuntu system has 9.9Gb).
A long shot but worth checking: is there an old copy of /home on that
partition that is masked by the mount point?
A couple of way to check this:
1) cd /
   sudo du -skx *
If the total at the end is much less than df says, then it's a
probability.

2) cd /
   sudo umount /home
   ls /home
   sudo du -skx *
You will probably need to be logged into the console with no X-session
running to be able to umount /home.

If either of these shows a non-empty /home then, make a backup of that
/home somewhere unless (you're quite sure there's nothing useful on it),
and then delete the contents of the phantom /home (but not the
directory), finally mount /home again.

*** PLEASE MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT /home IS REALLY UNMOUNTED BEFORE
ATTEMPTING TO DELETE THE CONTENTS OF /home ***

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |