root partition full

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Tue Dec 20 19:10:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:32:33AM -0600, CJ Tres wrote:
> I've followed the guide at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122670
>
> Unmounting all but system partitions,
> I've run apt-get-clean and -autoclean along with --autoremove,
> emptied trash in root and home and after I removed old kernels and
> headers I've reduced / by 4%.
> There are no large or numerous log files, although I did delete the
> oldest ones in each group.
>
> I did install doodle yesterday, which created a 20G directory in /var/lib.
> As an experiment I moved that folder to another hd but the size of /
> wasn't reduced, it's still 96% full! - 28G total 26G used 1.1G
> available.

Was doodle still running?  If a program has a file open, and you
delete/move that file to a different partition, Linux will not
free its disk space until the program that had it open quits.

Stop or restart doodle and you should see the disk space go down (unless
it creates a new 20G file on startup ;).

Marius Gedminas
--
"You know, you never truly appreciate how handy living next to a creek
is until you are on fire."