Synergy issue: Clipboard failing occasionally

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 16 15:05:36 UTC 2011

On 12/15/2011 05:46 PM, Jared Norris wrote:
> On 16 December 2011 04:19, Dave Woyciesjes<woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>>         Now this is an odd one...
>> Synergy Server: Ubuntu 11.10, using Gnome shell, Synergy 1.3.6
>> Client 1: laptop, dual boot Win7 Enterprise&  Ubuntu 11.10 Gnome Shell.
>> Synergy 1.3.6 on both.
>> Client 2: Mac OSX 10.5, Synergy 1.3.8
>> - The synergy.conf file has them setup in a circle, in that order:
>> Mac - Laptop - Server - (and circle back to the Mac)
>>
>>         Here's the problem. When the laptop is on the loop, sometimes While
>> working on the Server hitting [CTRL][C], or using the right-click option,
>> fails to copy the selection to the clipboard. Selecting&  middle click on
>> the mouse fails too. When that happens, the log window (in Win7) pops up
>> with a message that it "Failed to copy (or was it access?) the clipboard.
>>         This occurs even when it's booted in to Ubuntu (Synergy 1.3.6) as
>> well.
>>         Worked fine on previous releases of Ubuntu. That's all that has
>> changed.
>>
>>         I tried Synergy 1.3.8 on the server (to help the mouse over the left
>> hand wall); but that didn't stay up long enough to tell. Of course, could
>> the clipboard issue have been killing Synergy?
>>
>> --
>> --- Dave Woyciesjes
>
> I used synergy for many many years and all throughout that time I
> would occasionally get issues with the clipboards. I had the same
> issues you mentioned but also every once in a while it would copy the
> text and translate it to some Asian character language I couldn't
> discern (and before I knew Google translate existed). All I did was
> script up a file that killed the synergy server and restarting it (put
> a button on the task bar or icon on the desktop, etc) so it never
> really bothered me too much.
>
> Other than the clipboard issues as long as I always followed the
> instructions on the sourceforge page to install it properly so you
> could have the keyboard/mouse shared before login I never really had
> any other issues with the program. It was a lifesaver when I was
> migrating from windows to Ubuntu and it continued working well long
> into my Linux only years.

	Well, I think I may have found the right combination where the
copy/paste keeps working, and the mouse can get by the left hand wall of
Gnome 3...

Server: Ubuntu 11.10. Gnome Shell, Synergy 1.3.8 from:
ppa:bubuntu-guarana/synergy
Client1: Win7 Enterprise, Synergy 1.3.7 from synergy-foss.org
---- Dual boot to Ubuntu 11.10/Gnome Shell w/Synergy 1.3.6 from repos
Client2: Mac OSX 10.5, Synergy 1.3.8 from synergy-foss.org

	The only thing that doesn't work consistently (and never realy has,
only occasionally) is screensaver activation. Seems like if I'm using
Gnome-screensaver, no go. BUt now that I have xscreensaver instead, it
does seem to activate on all 3, if I let it timeout. But if I lock the
screen, nothing. 'Course, I'm not too worried about it either..

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818

  - from some guy in the internet.